Saturday, 9 June 2012

Dear 14 year old me...

I was watching a series of interviews online and one of the questions each person got asked was "What advice would you give your 14year old self?". I hated being in my teens and it all started at 14. I went to a very small high school with my 3 best friends then half way through year 9, we moved and I transfered to a huge horrid school and hung out with people who I didn't particularly like. Also being the oldest and having a mum who isn't very girly didn't help being a teenage girl.

So what would I tell my 14 year old self?

  • Go back to your old school. Annoy your parents every.single.day until they let you go back.
  • Go to a hairdresser it will change your life (superficially at least). They will introduce you to a hair straightener.. it's like a magic wand for your hair.
  • Also stop cutting your hair short because you hate it mid-length. It's never going to get long that way genius!
  • Stop repeatedly trying to please that one person because no matter what you do it won't be good enough. And when you're a bit older you'll understand that pleasing them is not the way to live your life.
  • Two boys will treat you like absolute crap but they will mould you into a stronger person and teach you the hard way not to settle for anything less than you deserve.
  • Mum wasn't lying about your body just going through an awkward stage. The tubby-ness will vanish on it's own, be patient.
  • Make mum buy you good quality make-up and skin care, the cheap stuff only makes things worse.
  • Appreciate the R&B you're listening to right now because it gets bad, really really bad.
  • You'll be happy to know that karma ends up getting that bitchy girl at school.
  • Your "that time of the month" excuse will work with your P.E teacher every week up until you finish school. You somehow managed to pass the subject without doing a single thing so don't spend your time constantly dreading the subject.
  • Try lots of new things, because you still have no idea what you really want to do.
  • You won't have to wait long until you meet your husband, it will be hard work at first but definitely worthwhile in the end.
  • Being a grown up is not all it's hyped up to be, you don't just turn into a responsible adult who knows the answers to everything. You're still you... but you will have a lot more responsibilities, bills to pay, important decisions to make, you will still make mistakes and constantly learn new things. 

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

8 comments:

  1. Work harder - if I'd got into medicine earlier I would be at the finishing end of my post-grad training rather than just the beginning. But then maybe I wouldn't have met Mr TPS... I guess everything works out for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw this is cute! Love it.

    I would say to my 14 yr old self - good on you for being yourself and not being influenced by the bad girls - you had alot of situations that could have led to you smoking, drinking, getting with the wrong crowd - but you were proud to be yourself and comfortable in your own skin. Even if you weren't 'cool'! (but hey, where are those 'cool' girls now, right? Popping out a couple of babies, no career, etc!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about those cool girls, I'm secretly a little happy when I see them around now looking anything but cool.

      Delete
  3. I would tell my 14 year old self (and probably right through to my 21 year old self!) to slow down and enjoy being 14. The responsibility comes on by itself quickly enough! And this is the advice I will give my girls - whether they take it or not...

    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great!!!!! I might try and do a post like this, make myself think about it. The R&B one made me' giggle lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this from The Conversation? I love love this show, it feels like a hug :)

    ReplyDelete